Saturday, October 23, 2004

Rome, Italy--Days 264/265/266

Bonjourno!

Life in Italy is fabulous--I have spent the past few days wandering around Rome with Mo--the coliseum, the Roman Forum, the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican--ahhhh, its all so wonderful. Just a few days here is not enough to take it all in but I guess that just leaves more for us to do when we return! I threw in a few coins into the Fontana di Trevi which, according to legend, means that I will make it back to Rome soon. The weather is hot, the food is good, I have no complaints. Except the fact that Mo left early this morning back to the States. By the time I was up and ready to hit the zoo she was well on her second flight from Brussels to Chicago.

I got up and walked up to the taxi stand near the hotel (which is in the boondocks of Rome) and took a cab to the entrance of the zoo. After standing in line for eons, I finally was able to buy my entrance ticket and head into the zoo.

I found one hippo Carlo in the pool (there should be two--Carlo and Mimi) so I took pictures of him for a couple of hours. He did a great job--got out of the pool, walked around a bit, went back in, swam around a lot, you know, all the great things that hippos can do for me to help me get good pictures--and I left a few hours later with a good collection of photos for the porcelain service and the determination to come back in the morning to get pictures of Mimi, who was inside today and hopefully would be outside tomorrow. I left when Carlo was brought inside by the keepers who began cleaning their enclosure, telling people that the hippos would not be back until 5:30pm. I decided not to wait.

Now I am wandering around Rome, trying to find a gelateria. :)